In my ongoing quest to test all of the magazine recipe rip-outs that are bulging from my "baking folder," I pulled this beauty back in October. It is a pumpkin jelly roll recipe from Libby, makers of the famous pumpkin puree. After reading the recipe, I realized a jelly roll is just a twist on a basic cake recipe. Same ingredients, just a few different techniques to make it look fancy.
After mixing the batter, you spread it into a jelly roll pan, fitted with parchment (I used my trusty Silpat instead). After baking for a short amount of time, you prep a kitchen towel by sprinkling it with powered sugar (read: make a mess). Then you masterfully flip it out of the pan, onto the kitchen towel, and roll it up tightly and evenly (more difficult than you might think, especially if you are the type of person who has trouble cutting in a straight line) and let it cool.
After you make the filling (basically just cream cheese frosting), unroll the cake.
Then you spread out the filling evenly, leaving an inch border. The tricky, hold-your-breath part comes next.
Roll it up tight and evenly, and quickly wrap it in plastic wrap and throw it in the fridge to let it set. It will firm up and be easier to cut.
In the end, it tasted nice, but wasn't anything special. I fear I'm becoming a bit of a snob because I wouldn't make this recipe again. I could just as easily make pumpkin muffins, cake, or cookies with this flavor profile. I think I can safely file this with my completed challenges.






No comments:
Post a Comment